Hello Bill,
I remember that I wrote to you last year before you went with some advice for
taking young people to the Azores....I see now that we must have just missed
you as we were on the flight that left one day early OUT of Oakland to Terceira
(July 20) and were on the Atlas Air plane.  We got a call mid-week that our
plane would not be leaving on the Monday but on Sunday....which took a little
shuffling. We did end up enjoying the extra time on Terceira but on the way
back home, our plane started to have mechanical problems when we were way out
on the ocean....I have never been so scared!  We had to turn back and then
circle for quite awhile to burn off fuel. Sata put us up in a great place
Quinta do Martelo, so there was a silver lining, but not sure if I am over the
scare yet!  Some of us fell asleep after the plane took off and woke up to the
realization that there was something very wrong. Our little ten year old
grandson smiled and said "Oh yeah, we are going back!!".....the bliss of youth!
 I hear that there are other airlines going in there now which I think will be
a good thing!

Good tips on the SIM card, I have never figured that one out. It would have
been nice to have a phone sometimes. We just accessed our email and the web
when we were in the hotels or anyplace  free wifi.  We had the same experience
with American Express....almost no one took it. Our Visa was usually good
except sometimes my husband was convinced that it was not that it did not work,
but that they really wanted cash instead:)

I think the bulls on a rope pretty much run all summer, not just in
Altares....you just have to find out what town will be having the festivities.
We have always managed to see one on the several trips that we have made.
Finding a safe  place to view this can be tricky....we have had help from both
taxi drivers and twice from a wonderful guide that we hired, Mario Rego, on
Terceira.

As you say Bill.....you just have to hang loose and be flexible....it all works
out in the end:)

Susan Vargas Murphy