Indices in which particular records? The stand alone indices like the ones
in Vila Franca and Ponta Garca? The indices in the back of the book like in
Ribeira das Tainhas? All three are done differently. Some are chronological
by date, some are by name, generally first. The headers at the top of the
page tell you (like the guide words in a dictionary). But I don't know
which index you are looking at, so I can't be sure.

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada