The preist in Calheta just listed the names of those who died in the
earthquake.  With no identifying information.  Here is the page that the list
starts on:
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-CALHETA-O-1750-1780/SJR-CH-CALHETA-O-1750-1780_item1/P54.html

The following excerpt is from the Azores Genweb Earthquake page:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~azrwgw/general-info/earthquakes-in-the-azores.html

"Following this note are the records of the people who died on the night of the
9th and early morning of the 10th day of July of this year 1757, that razed and
demolished the stone walls of the fields, the cliffs, the fountains, and not a
single house remained that had not rotated on its foundation, and a large part
of its residents dead underneath these same ruins; and for them who lived
through the Divine Kindness and Compassion will remain with a life so crushed
and torn to pieces even though it can be said that by a miracle they escaped;
nor would there be a place where the dead could be buried: - because the mother
church of this town and the three chapels suffragans to the mother church are
all turned around from top to bottom, nothing remaining in their church yards
where they can be buried.
"God by his infinite compassion left me life, removing me from under the many
large stones of my house that fell on top of me, he permits that these days
that he conserved my life only to be fruitful in his saintly service, Blessed
and Praised always Divine Compassion."
-- Neatly written, page after page, the dead are listed by household, the
number of dead of each household written in the margin. How well Father Machado
knew his parishioners. He gives their names and ages; single, married or
widowed; where they came from if not natives of Calheta; and in many cases
their occupations. What is so amazing is the amount of detail in these records
at such a time of upheaval.
The churches in Calheta, Ribeira Seca, and Topo were destroyed and 1,034 people
in the district were killed, and many others crippled or maimed. My ancestors
in all three places survived the earthquake. One can imagine the terrible
hardships of the people of this district."

I have another book about Sao Jorge which provides the following information
about casualties resulting from the earthquake:

"July 9, 1757 (Saturday)

Around 23 h and 45 'there was a strong earthquake with a duration of
approximately 2'
July 10, 1757 (Sunday)

In the morning the damage is visible:
from the tip of the Top to Calheta there is no house standing; Great landslides
led to the emergence of 18 islets.
Around 10 am new earthquake.
Around 16 hours new earthquake.

125 deaths. A corpse was buried in the church, 84 in two open ditches in the
churchyard and 40 were buried in the ruins.
House sends boat to Angra to participate in the event.
House sends a boat with the county attorney and clerk of the House, to take
possession of the new fajãs formed by the defeats.

In Fajã de São João: Great defeats; After three days there were still shouts of
buried victims.

In Ribeira Seca: Great destruction, and 452 deaths.

In Fajã dos Vimes: Church and all  dwellings demolished

In Calheta: 135 deaths; All buildings razed

In Norte Pequeno: Appearance of the " Arregoas "; Several derelict buildings

In the County of Velas: Some ruined temples, Several houses destroyed, just 2
deaths in Norte Grande
There were a total of 1034 deaths!
The village of Calheta being devastated without being left alone in a house or
where the Blessed Sacrament rose because it is in the country under some trees;
And in the town of Topo it was the same and only a hermitage of the Virgin Our
Lady of Help was ruined, and there was no house, and making prudent judgment
and ascertainment of the dead that suffered under the ruins say that throughout
the Island died Nine hundred people, let the Divine Mercy of God be all in his
holy sight; And so that there may be remembrance of the punishment and
amendment in the vices for the time ahead and in the present I decided to
express it in this Book for being the most public (...). Of which I made this
memory that I assign myself to the 19 of July of 1757 - I Gaspar Gonçalves
Boto, clerk of the Camera I wrote it. GGBoto. I declare that, having made an
inquiry again, it is known that a thousand and thirty-four persons have died,
and I have written to the scribe."

Additionally, once you get the legend added to the Ribeira Seca deceased list,
I would encourage you to send it to Kathy Cardoza. It would be a marvelous
edition on the earthquake page of Azores Genweb.

Thanks!

Jeremy

              • ... Cheri Mello
          • ... Rosemarie Capodicci
            • ... Marilyn Thompson
              • ... Rosemarie Capodicci
              • ... Marilyn Thompson
              • ... Rosemarie Capodicci
              • ... climbatree2
              • ... Marilyn Thompson
              • ... Rosemarie Capodicci
              • ... 'Jeremy G. B-C: Researching Sao Jorge' via Azores Genealogy
              • ... 'Jeremy G. B-C: Researching Sao Jorge' via Azores Genealogy
              • ... Sme
              • ... Marilyn Thompson
              • ... ftwmen
              • ... Marilyn Thompson