On 16/06/07, Ian Betteridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 16/06/07, vijay chopra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are many media people living in their London-centric bubble
(a.k.amedia-land) who as Andy's email said, are totally ignorant of the basics of
> modern technology. That isn't an insult, but a fact simply by virtue of the
> fact that much of the general population couldn't tell you how a PC works
> either. Those working in the media are no exception.

It's a mistake to assume that you have to know how a PC works in order to
understand the impact of technology on culture. It's rather like saying that
no one can be an urban planner without being able to also construct an
internal combustion engine.

They don't need to  know how a PC works, but I'll bet  many couldn't even
pass an ECDL or CLAIT course (reflecting society as a whole); I wouldn't
claim to be able to plan a city without some relevant  qualifications.

Besides, if there are meeja prima donnas and wannabe luvvies (on this list
> or otherwise)

No ad hominem attacks there, then. I could, of course, start talking about
arrogant techies who think they know it all - but I'll refrain.

Yep, and well deserved too (you deside if I mean meeja luvvies or arrogant
techies.)

Vijay.