Here in the US, that is not the case. It is much harder to find such DVD
players.

Because they contravene the DMCA act? IANAL, and certainly not across
american law, but I thought it expressly forbade the circumventing of
content locks?

Incidentally, I'm sure the only reason BBC content isn't widely
distributed on DVD in the US is because no DVD releasing/licensing
companies have bought the DVD distribution rights to the content in
that territory.  It's certainly not a mysterious conspiracy against
TwiTs.