  From: Richard Hyett
  To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
  Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:19 PM
  Subject: [backstage] DVD Region 2

  In last weeks 'This Week in Tech' Leo Laporte made the point that many of the
BBC's titles on DVD were only available on 'Region 2' format.  Region 2 works
fine on in Middle East, Iceland, Western Europe, Central Europe, Egypt, French
overseas territories, Greenland, Japan, Lesotho, South Africa and Swaziland,but
not in North America.

  A trip to Amazon.com confirms this.  Perhaps there isn't much of a demand for
BBC content from 300 million North Americans, but Leo was indignant anyway.

  We recently bought the entire series of MASH on DVD, it will take perhaps six
months  to get through it a leisurely pace.  Six months when we won't be
channel hopping, using Freeview or the IPlayer