i'm intrigued by this, and sense it's a great idea, brian, so forgive me
for pressing for more detail?

so, i think i see what you mean about a live TV or Radio stream being
accessed at, for instance:

http://live.bbc.co.uk/radio4

BTW, in your scenario, would that URL check which format of AV the
requesting client wanted? (that's a bit that "media selector" currently
does, methinks)...

but now, leaving a live stream behind for the moment, what about URLs
for individual programmes and their episodes...

in your scenario, would there be a difference between:

http://watch.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/3/42
&
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/3/42

??

is one completely about AV assets and one more of a "normal" webpage? is
there a reason why both should exist? couldn't the "normal" webpage link
to the iPlayer asset, perhaps at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/3/42/watch
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/3/42/watch>

or from my Radio 3 example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/breakfast/pip/jrjen/
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/breakfast/pip/jrjen/>    (an episode of
Breakfast)

could link to its iPlayer asset at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/breakfast/pip/jrjen/listen

am i still missing your point, tho, brian?

best--

--cs