On 7/13/07, Steve Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris Sizemore wrote:
> yes, i agree that TV-Anytime supplies some of the requirement (indeed,
> perhaps everything brian was suggesting... brian?)
>
> but does TVA, despite the URN (the crid, i.e.
> crid://my.id.creator/xxxxxxxxxxx88r; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crid),
> supply the "on the Web" part?
>
> depending on one's philosophical bent, that's one of the potential
> problems with URNs & thus CRIDs: they can't (easily) be dereferenced, in
> the way that a "regular old" URL can be... URNs aren't "on the Web"...

There's some confusion over CRIDs IMO - even in RFC 4078 they get
referred to as URLs.  I think it's best to think of them as URIs,
designed to be unique and location-independent.  TV-Anytime defines the
concept of a CRI service that (amongst other things) provides mappings
between CRIDs and locators, which could include http, rtsp etc *URLs*.
This gives you the benefits of both time-invariant identifiers and
time-varying locators, at the cost of an extra lookup.

welcome to CRIDland!

--
cheers,
Jakob.