sorry, some of us old jammers are kind of narky :) anyway, you have some
other thoughts (which I think are more the general consensus from staff
if the mailing list was anything to go by)

> The reason I thought it was a bad move to make at the time
> was that it seemed that all of a sudden, the BBC was having
> to vow to a sudden burst of criticism from other companies,
> which seemed a little orchestrated,

I can see why one might have had that impression. It was certainly one I
shared. I also thought it looked bad for the beeb to bow to commercial
pressure like that. but to my mind it wasn't a battle to fight, and we
stood some chance of losing it even if we had right entirely on our
side.

>and given that they'd
> invested so much time and expense it was frustrating both for
> me as a user and for the people who worked on it to see it
> just get shelved.

yeah, I found this an interesting issue, because I wonder at what point
you're just throwing good money after bad. Should we have persisted even
when politics, technology, and (IMHO) content had collaborated to ensure
we would be wasting even more money on something that might still be
taken down or might not be any good?

to my mind, nowhere near that amount of money would have been wasted had
the project been run intelligently from the start.