On 8/2/07, Christopher Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Calm down dear, it's only a mailing list.
>
> What's wrong with discussing the (faint) possibility that it may happen
> (though most likely won't) in the future?

Sorry, I forgot to add a smiley face.

I agree with you. It makes more sense to use DRM when you want to
charge for programmes which aren't already available without DRM.
(Assuming you think DRM is effective, which it isn't). The BBC is
restricted to certain cable stations in the US.

Given that, you could say that DRM for UK citizens isn't pandering to
The Rights Holders, but to future income streams in other markets.
Pay-per-play over the Internet would increase the potential US market,
for example.

It at least makes some kind of logical sense.

Encrypting and restricting programmes in the UK which travel over
2.4GHz (wi-fi), but not those via 800 MHz (tv), doesn't.

DRM restricts a UK citizen from downloading a programme using iPlayer
and uploading it to YouTube so that a non-licence payer can watch it
without paying. But a UK citizen doesn't have to use iPlayer. They
could use a DVD recorder, a PVR, a USB tv receiver, etc.  All cheap,
available and familiar devices. Your mom can do this.

Cracking the DRM isn't necessary (although that will be done too).