Well it was announced that it would happen, thereby scaring the bejasus
out of independent companies. Had it not been for the ridiculous
original ground grab then possibly some of the later problems would not
have come to pass.

> A core requirement (thrashed out through years of wrangling,
> I believe) for the Digital Curriculum project from the
> Department of Culture, Media n' Sport was that no more than
> 50% of ICT-compatible learning 'outcomes'
> would be covered by the commissioned work - leaving *plenty*
> of space for the market to move around in and produce
> competitive work in.

Well IMO if they'd had any sense they would have steered well clear of
rubbish like "learning outcomes", but regardless. because of the way the
things was announced there were political wranglings that put in place
many conflicting requirements that attempted (rather successfully IMO)
to hobble jam. I won't claim for a moment that the indies were lily
white in what happened.

>Never mind the fact that Jam produced
> learning materials for and in minority languages such as
> Gaelic and Welsh that the commercial sector wouldn't have
> gone near in a million years due (to the lack of profit margin).

jam attempted to a lot of good things. some incredibly smart people
worked on it. but...

> Of course, having had this concession made to them, the
> private e-learning sector was still narked that Jam was
> producing a lot of genuinely excellent learning content that
> was streets ahead of what they were producing.

"genuinely excellent"? ye gods! on that I'm afraid we will forever
disagree.

I sometimes wonder if all the talk of the European Court of Justice is
just a way of quietly putting some really woeful content where nobody
can ever see just how crappy it was.

So they went
> to the EU, who went to the Trust, and we got shut down.

even on a strategic level I think the Trust were right. given how
resticted jam was by its technology and the "core
requirements(/hobbles)", starting it all again made sense to me. but
then I thought it was crap. perhaps if I'd rated it I would have thought
it was a waste.