On 26/09/2007, Christopher Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Leaving the last digit from the last octet out would be fine, though?
> Then you could group by IP addresses for purposes like fraud checking and
> suchlike. I'm sure the BBC sites always say that standard information such
> as browser and IP address will be collected whenever you submit information
> to the server, so that's a fairly standard get-out clause.

That's actually a really good idea, and to add to my previous email, it
would certainly be intresting to see what topics inspire the most vote
fraud. Having Geographic and ISP info aswell would be good. Are Northerners
or Southerners more honest online? NTL customers or BT customers etc.

There's bugger all you can really do with an IP address, even a complete
> one, unless you're a malicious fellow with a botnet behind you.

I know that, you know that and everyone on this list knows that, but it
doesn't make as good a headline in the daily mail as "BBC giving out
information about your computers" or "BBC helps spammers" then going on to
detail all the evil things that can be done with a botnet...
Or am I being too cynical?

Vijay.