Why *should* the BBC be relevant to them as developers? Were they also
complaining about all the other large media organisations that weren't
relevant to them as developers?

No one I spoke to said that Channel 4 wasn't relevant to them as developers. However, Channel 4 hadn't shelled out to sponsor a web development conference.

Or is there a reason why
the BBC should be providing tools for developers to do stuff more than
all other UK media organisations do?

LIke it or not, the web is/will be a major media channel and that means the BBC will need to compete on the web. One of the current models of business online is to give away your data and, given the BBC's public funding, I think it's the one that makes most sense: I'm biased though ;-) Also, like I said above, the BBC are trying to court developers.

Part of me wonders whether the BBC should get on with making good
content, telling stories, (whether on- or offline) and stop attempting
to be an internet startup.

I'm inclined to think they should stop producing cruft like Strictly Come Dancing and focus *more* on becoming an internet startup but, again, I'm biased.