On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:54:03 -0000, David Greaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Matt Hammond wrote:
The statements attributes to Ashley Highfield seem to talk about *users*
(eg. measured as unique cookies) whereas the other numbers we're
comparing against here are being described as "usage" and "hits".

Just thought I'd point it out before we get in a mess :-)

Still comparing apples and apples though: "We have 17.1 million users of
bbc.co.uk in the UK ... and around 400 to 600 are Linux users."

So there does appear to be a mess somewhere...

If the usage profile of those linux users is broadly comparable to those of the other platforms you're probably right.

One other thought: Ashley Highfield's comments may only relate to the main www.bbc.co.uk site - excluding BBC news. Historically the news have run and managed a separate operation iirc (though that may now be changing). Site stats were (are still?) collected separately for the two. What if, like myself, other linux users tend to visit news.bbc.co.uk but not www.bbc.co.uk?

Matt