Matt Hammond wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:54:03 -0000, David Greaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Matt Hammond wrote:
>>> The statements attributes to Ashley Highfield seem to talk about *users*
>>> (eg. measured as unique cookies) whereas the other numbers we're
>>> comparing against here are being described as "usage" and "hits".
>>>
>>> Just thought I'd point it out before we get in a mess :-)
>>
>> Still comparing apples and apples though: "We have 17.1 million users of
>> bbc.co.uk in the UK ... and around 400 to 600 are Linux users."
>>
>> So there does appear to be a mess somewhere...
>
> If the usage profile of those linux users is broadly comparable to those
> of the other platforms you're probably right.
>
> One other thought: Ashley Highfield's comments may only relate to the
> main www.bbc.co.uk site - excluding BBC news. Historically the news have
> run and managed a separate operation iirc (though that may now be
> changing). Site stats were (are still?) collected separately for the
> two. What if, like myself, other linux users tend to visit
> news.bbc.co.uk but not www.bbc.co.uk?

I just visited www.bbc.co.uk. I can see why no-one would visit that page other
than to browse for links...

I wonder if linux users probably are more tech savvy and may use deep-links
automatically whereas more PC users may tend to go to the home page.

In either case I strongly suspect that the picture he's portraying is highly
misleading although it *may* even be technically true.

Whether it was deliberately misleading I couldn't say. I suppose my opinion will
 depend on whether he corrects himself or lets the misunderstanding stand. It
was certainly a derogatory remark to make about the size and implied
importance/relevance of the linux community.

David