Beyond the debate about security in following email links, redirects and
then the discussion of poorly designed urls the weirdest thing about the use
of tinyurl in the BBC Archive email is that the urls they were substituting
weren't that long in the first place:

http://tinyurl.com/2fkqes
goes to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/trial/forgotton_password.shtml

and...

http://tinyurl.com/29t4o5
goes to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/trial/

...then to compound the confusion the email signs off with the real url:

Regards,
The BBC archive trial team
bbc.co.uk/archive/trial/

sometimes things just don't make sense ~:-\

J.