On Monday 19 November 2007 20:13:27 Dave Crossland wrote:
> Yes, its important to avoid the confusing term "intellectual property"
> and consider the laws that are grouped in that term on their own,
> since their purposes and details are totally different.

It doesn't help though that the patent office has been renamed the
Intellectual Property Office, since as you say it's inaccurate. I tend to
prefer to say "intellectual monopolies" since I think it's a more accurate
way of describing the same set of things. (A monopoly on a trademark, a
monopoly on copying something, a monopoly on creating embodiments of an
invention, etc.)

It also makes it more obvious the issues around patents on business methods -
since that's clearly a monopoly on a way of doing business - something
normally considered against the public interest.

If you start talking about "intellectual monopoly law" though to a lawyer,
they'll just look at you blankly until you start speaking their language. In
exactly the same way that killing a piece of software doesn't actually
involve anything like killing :-) (let alone the worry and concern software
can raise if errors like "The software you are using has performed an illegal
action" actually make it back to the user...)

Michael.