That is kind of the figures I was expecting. Just to be clear here,
the way I see it is that if the BBC stands up and says we believe in
"libre" not "gratis", so we don't want anything to do with  software
or codecs that involve patents, pretty much at least 80%+ of the
people who own portable music players in the UK are going to turn
around and say "Chuffing hell, lads, why doesn't that work on my
machine? I mean, I *paid* for all this stuff to be made by the BBC.
Who are you to tell me which machines I should have to buy".

I mean, isn't that the argument for the BBC making the iPlayer work in
Linux - because a market is there and so the BBC should support it in
the interest of universal access?

Or, they could just make 120+ radio programmes available free to
download, for nothing, for people to keep for as long as they like,
and re-encode into any format they want....