> The Xiph wiki has the list:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers
>
> The part about Chinese-made players being Vorbis-aware
> without documentation is interesting.
>
> I'm not aware of publicly available marketshare data for
> portable players though (that is, non-iPod). NPD in the US
> probably has that info for $$.
>
> Sean

Well in 2004 the NPD said iPods accounted for 92.1% of the market for
hard drive-based music players
(http://www.news.com/Its-all-about-the-iPod/2100-1041_3-5406519.html).
The market wasn't as crowded then, but gives an impression of how many
have been sold.

Figures for sales in January 2007 from NPD show:
Category: MP3
 Rank Brand                   Unit Share
  1   Apple                      72.7%
  2   SanDisk                     8.9%
  3   Microsoft                   3.2%
  4   Creative Labs               2.9%
  5   Samsung                     2.0%
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=AAPL
:US&sid=ap0bqJw2VpwI

Out of just those top 5 I think SanDisk and Samsung might be the only
ones that support OggVorbis without some sort of hack. Also, these
figures only give current sales and not current market share.

All the backstage podcasts that have been done have been available in
several different formats, any chance we could find out which format was
the most popular? Then again, probably not a good sample of users to do
such a test on.

If people really want OggVorbis support then you might want to try and
let Radio know about it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/contact/podcast_form.shtml. Personally I
don't think it would be "Value for Money" for Licence Fee payers to do
it, but then that is just my opinion :)

-Carlos.