First impressions:

Generally not bad, though I think the masthead takes up slightly too much
screen real estate (and I'm viewing at 1280x1024). Also , I find the colour
change on the interface when clicking the options under the lead picture
incredibly jarring and I'm not sure what purpose the change is really supposed
to serve.  I think I know why it's "supposed" to be there but on the whole I
find it rather distracting and unnecessary.

The borders around content boxes are quite thick, so it gives the interface a
slightly chunkier look than I, personally, prefer, but that's just a matter of
personal preference. The effect is quite nice though. I'm not so sure about the
Vista-ish modal dialog boxes though. Though they look pretty they have the
potential of becoming incredibly annoying if they crop up too often. Basic
degradation is pretty decent actually, after giving it a quick go in FF 3 beta
1 with everything (e.g. Java, js) switched off and I like the fact that content
panes can be "windowshaded" and the settings remembered between visits.

much would make the interface too unwieldy and break what is currently fairly
simple and clean. Better yet the first non-tech people I showed it too were
taken with the look; they liked it.

Overall, I'm impressed

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html