More feedback for you.

Vista Pro, IE7, 16 million colours, second monitor (1024x768).  I set the
font size to -2 and this is what I get:

http://bnb.bpweb.net/misc/bbc_hp.png

Specific problems:

1. "Customise homepage" has gone onto two lines, not correctly aligned

2. All the colours have banded which looks nasty

3. Text on top line is corrupt;

4. In the "Science and Nature" (and News) sections, the boxes have lost
alignment.

5. Loss of ClearType font rendering in places (due to effects used)

6. Icons.  Since Windows 3, the "down triangle" has been used to mean "drop
down menu".  I know web designers HATE following UI hints that users have
known for decades, but it does make it easier to use.  If you could refer
to:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb328626.aspx

Also, why not (for Windows+IE users) use .EOT soft fonts?  They are really
easy to do!

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm

And finally, one of the best things of the "themes" facility of iGoogle is
that they change thoughout the day both the pictures and colours...