It's always the way isn't it when designing websites that want a unique
feel, extra typefaces look great but there's the tradeoff with accessibility
and compatibility.
It's good that there are options around to try to alleviate some of these
problems, but as with any deviation from the 'standard', there will always
be numerous problems, and it's a balancing act to get it right between
serving the maximum audience and providing innovative and cutting edge
design and content.
I am a definite culprit when it comes to using heavy graphics on websites I
make, not so bad in today's broadband world but would be damned a few years
ago - not to mention the accessibility issues.

The recent comments have opened my eyes to some alternatives that can be
considered while still allowing individual and creative content to shine
through.