On Jan 24, 2008 9:11 AM, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 23/01/2008, Phil Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Without looking it up, the previous reply (from a Gnash dev IIRC) was that
> > the BBC are
> > using the latest version of Adobe Flash Streaming Server, and this has
> > dropped support for
> > streaming over HTTP.
>
> I remembered it being described as deprecated. My interpretation of
> deprecated is that it isn't recommended to use it but it still can be
> used. Normally it means it will be removed sometime in the future. For
> instance I can use a Deprecated Method in Java and it will still wok
> but I will get a warning and it may be removed from Java in the
> future. I therefore assumed that RTMP could still be used but wasn't
> the recommended approach. I may have been wrong though. (Why would
> anyone remove something useful from a software application anyway?
> More importantly why would anyone trust a vendor that did that with
> their Mission Critical software applications?).

I honestly can't tell whether you're being deliberately obtuse or not.
HTTP streaming is deprecated, not RTMP.

HTTP = The old way
RTMP = The new way

While I don't actually see the point either, I'm sure Adobe has its
reasons and since no one has any more suitable suggestions for how to
stream A/V content easily over the web then that's what's being used.