Apache has the power to serve files over HTTP. You should check it out
http://www.apache.org/ . Stick a file in a location it can access and
clients can stream from it.

As far as I know, Apache cannot stream files.

Red5 ..
VLC

Even if these were OK, do they work on the massive scale required by the BBC? According to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7187967.stm they'd need to be support streaming 250,000 programmes a day. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that neither of these servers are capable of handling this load as-is.

I can't answer all your other questions because I don't know all the answers, but here are a few:

"Does this mean an RTMP
client needs to have a full interpreter for some programming language"

An RTMP client needs to have an execution environment.

<questions about dates>

See the JavaScript Date documentation for your favourite implementation, such as http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Date

<acceptable characters in PID and Token>

These are generated by the BBC, so you probably don't need to know, other than ensuring you encode as UTF-8 to make sure you can handle a broad character set. Java encodes String objects to UTF-8 internally by default.

I would hope that most of your other questions become redundant if an API appears, as has been suggested.

Cheers,

Phil