On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Ian Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Adobe Air allows developers to build tools that still have some
> functionality even when a computer is no longer connected to the net.
> A free download will allow users of Macs, PCs and, later this year, Linux
> machines to run any Air applications.
>
> The BBC is also building prototype applications with AIR.
> "The nice thing about it is that it works on all the different platforms -
> Mac, PC and eventually Linux," said John O'Donovan, chief architect in the
> BBC's Future Media and Technology Journalism division.
>
> So what do people think?

I saw this at FOWA last year, at the time I saw it as a bit of a backwards
step as far as encouraging fully blown webapps - but looking at it now it
could have it's advantages. Be nice to have a gMail that works offline but
without a client, for example - but I wonder how much 'client' one has to
download to get an air app to work. I have a trial CD around somewhere, if I
get a spare few hours I will have a look at it.