On 26/02/2008, Alia Sheikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now this is a bit hairy - would you be happier if the BBC required that
>  the public could use only non-proprietary software to access any of its
>  work?

I doubt that it what Dave is saying.
It should make it's content available via a standard way (see:
http://www.ietf.org , http://www.w3c.org , http://www.iso.org ).
That way it can be viewed in both proprietary and Open Source
software. See everyone's happy.

And if you are unhappy using Open Standards then you can't use HTTP,
or TCP/IP for that matter so how are you going to access the BBC
website in the first place?

>  It feels uncomfortably like you're making a moral judgement about
>  the nature of 'good' and 'bad' software and asking the BBC to enforce
>  this.

No one is asking the BBC to enforce ANYTHING. The entire opposite, we
are asking the BBC to allow *any* software to be used.

>  I wouldn't be
>  happy deciding what people should care about and enforcing it.

That's what the BBC is doing and you have been defending. It is saying
"we believe Adobe's software is what everyone should use so we only
permit their users access to our content".

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath