Hey,

I never said anything about being unhappy with open standards, please do not implicitly misquote me like that:)

What I said was that as far as possible things should be open but that that should not be the only value judgement that is made. I also said positive and fluffy things about how nice it would be if everyone could access everything and that that was ideally how things should be. I don't think the BBC *have* said

"we believe Adobe's software is what everyone should use so we only
permit their users access to our content".

and I don't think that is what I am defending. I am defending the right to investigate whether that particular bit of software is useful. As I would (and have in the past) for open source software.

I think that it woud have been good to have had a discussion on what Air can and can't do. It would have been fantastic to have had a discussion about open source alternatives that can do the same job or a better job. It would have been useful to talk about things that aren't the same but a bit like it or find out about some open source projects that haven't produced anything useful so far but that might be good to keep an eye out for. It would have been interesting to know whether, if a piece of content was made available via Air or via something more open, what people's opinions would be about who would use which and why. It would be interesting to know what people like the osflash.org guys think of all this (I don't know if any of you are on this list?).

This is not a forum that exists simply for the purpose of telling the BBC that it is Wrong.

It would have been good to talk.
Alia