On 29/02/2008, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Of course the BBC has a duty to "educate". The use of proprietary
> protocols/formats is a direct contradiction to this duty. How can we
> educate people when we can not even tell them how things work. It is
> really damaging the future of education and the BBC must not assist
> with it.

Isn't that akin to criticising the BBC for not making sure everyone
knows about how its (former) transmitters work? There's obviously a
sliding scale, but the message is more important than the medium here.

> When learning about technology it is useful to to find out how current
> solutions actually work. With open protocols it is entirely possible
> to do this, for instance if I want to know how a particular part of
> IPv6 works I can read an RFC and I will have more knowledge as a
> result and be able to design better protocols in the future. With
> proprietary protocols one is prevented from learning how it operates
> so would need to start from scratch with less knowledge of how the
> problems have been tackled in the past.

But for what proportion of the BBC's audience is this a concern, one
that's more important than them being able to easily consume the BBC's
output using something that they already have access to, that they're
familiar with, and that their kids can fix when it breaks?

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]