There's a real problem for search engines doing the "wrong" way.  Most
search engines take the non-Javascript version of a page and index that.  If
there's normal inline hypertext links in the content, Google (for example)
will use this as part of the page "popularity" ratings.

If they are done the Javascript way, they won't count towards search engine
rankings.

Whilst I am all for the BBC using the License Fee to dominate the UK Media,
it would actually be handy for it to link to other people's content as a
matter of course, and for these links to count both as direct clicks and as
search-engine-ranking helpers.

As I thought that the whole point of the recent review was to link to other
media sites for both purposes, this awful Javascript nonsense is not going
to help with either.

2008/8/19 Phil Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I actually like the idea that they are using javascript to insert the links
>> into the page, as it means with noscript it is possible to block
>> apture.com and then all the links disappear.
>>

> If you click one of the links and open a popup window and click "Feedback"
> you can disable the multimedia (i.e. popup) view which then inserts plain <a
> href=""> links on the page instead (I assume this is also inserted via JS).
>
> This is a much better option since it a) does what I expect and b)
> maintains link accessibility. It might be nice if this was the default
> rather than the popup window.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil Wilson, happy HackHUD user
> http://dharmafly.com/projects/hackhud
>
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
>  Unofficial list archive:

http://www.ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice,
since 2002