From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Brian Butterworth
Sent: Tue 8/19/2008 16:36
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Inline hypertext links - you're doing it wrong!

There's a real problem for search engines doing the "wrong" way.  Most search
engines take the non-Javascript version of a page and index that.  If there's
normal inline hypertext links in the content, Google (for example) will use
this as part of the page "popularity" ratings.

If they are done the Javascript way, they won't count towards search engine
rankings.

Whilst I am all for the BBC using the License Fee to dominate the UK Media, it
would actually be handy for it to link to other people's content as a matter of
course, and for these links to count both as direct clicks and as
search-engine-ranking helpers.

As I thought that the whole point of the recent review was to link to other
media sites for both purposes, this awful Javascript nonsense is not going to
help with either.