From: owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk
[mailto:owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk] On Behalf Of Brian Butterworth
Sent: 29 September 2009 07:06
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Fixing the iPlayer support in Plex

2009/9/28 Dave Addey <listma...@addey.com>

        Hi Backstage,

        I've been working on fixing the iPlayer plugin for the Mac OS X
media centre app "Plex".  The updated plugin seems to be working pretty
well by reading the BBC RSS feeds and JSON feeds, but I have a few
questions:

        1) Are there any issues with integrating iPlayer into an app
like Plex?  (I'm not trying to work around the geographical restrictions
on iPlayer access, I should add - I'm just providing a wrapper for the
iPlayer flash player from within Plex.)  I'm aware that doing so could
be likely to break at any time if the iPlayer site were to change.  (You
can view Plex here: http://www.plexapp.com/)

Yes, this is the "make your stuff with our stuff" BBC Backstage line.

        2) Assuming this isn't a problem legally, is there anywhere I
can find a list of all of the potential subcategories / subgenres used
by iPlayer?  I can see a list of those with at least one current
programme assigned to them, but I don't know if this list is complete.
For example, Children's > Activities, Children's > Animation, etc.

I think you have to work it out from what's out there.

        3) Is there a feed (RSS / JSON / something else) which can be
used for searching?

Yes, do a search from the iPlayer page and scrape it for URLs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=S
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=Manor> earchTerm

        Thanks in advance for any help!

        - Dave.