Hi Ian (and other posters),

Many thanks for all the suggestions and ideas - much appreciated.  I had
originally tried to get the iPlayer RTMP streams playing inside a
third-party Flash player, but nothing I tried would get them to play.  I did
also take a look at the XBMC plugin for inspiration (Plex is forked from
XBMC), but they seem to be using their own proprietary RTMP player, which
isn't easily available for us to use in Plex.  In the end I gave up with
trying to get the raw streams to work outside of the original flash player.

Instead, I'm using Plex's rather neat webkit page-cropping approach, which
finds the iPlayer swf file on a page loaded from bbc.co.uk/iplayer and
displays the page in cropped form to just show the video part of the player.
I also did some digging around in the iPlayer javascript files and found
that the iPlayer swf file has a Javascript API, which I've taken advantage
of for playing and pausing playback, and for tracking progress via JS
callbacks.

It's all working rather well (until the iPlayer site next changes at least),
using the RSS and JSON feeds to obtain the programme info and then using
this webkit approach for playback.

If you'd like to give it a try, you can download Plex here (it's open source
and free):

http://www.plexapp.com/

The iPlayer plugin can be downloaded and installed from the in-app "App
Store".

It would still be good to access the RTMP streams directly - and this would
probably be more reliable in the long term.  Is there any magic involved in
getting them to play?  Has anyone found a third-party flash-based player
(ideally with useful JavaScript hooks) for doing so?

Thanks again for the help!

- Dave