Somewhat related to the discussion already going on?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jan/25/firefox-open-video-support

Idealists or pioneers?

Interesting block at the bottom,

"Web video has never really been open, unencumbered and free. We've had Real
Networks RM format, Apple's QuickTime, Microsoft's Windows Media Video (now
standardised as VC-1), the DivX and XviD codecs, and Adobe Flash among others.
There might never be one open standard, simply because some content owners will
want to include DRM (Digital Rights Management) copy restrictions.

However, the web would benefit from having an open, unencumbered and free video
format that enabled HTML programmers to include a video as easily as they now
include a headline or a photo, wouldn't it? How do we get to that?"

Secret[] Private[] Public[x]

Ian Forrester
Senior Backstage Producer

BBC R&D North Lab,