The "H" comes from the CCITT (now ITU-T) subcommittee that defined the
standard.  The "H" committee was for multimedia, as I recall.

They also had the "X" standards (X400, X500), "Q" standards like ISDN, "E"
for telephone plans, the "PSTN cloud" is Signalling System number 7, named
after the  Q.7 committees, JPEG was from the "T" committee and so on.

Aside from this XVID is DIVX backwards.  This is because all the ITU-T
standards are DECODING standards, not encoding ones.  This is to allow
commercial operators to create their own encoders, with the decoding being
in the public domain.

2010/1/26 Ian Forrester <ian.forres...@bbc.co.uk>

> OH I see :) hummm, for reason I thought there was also a codec based on
> H.264 call x.264
>

> Secret[] Private[x] Public[]
>
> Ian Forrester
> Senior Backstage Producer