On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:17:34 +0000, Brian wrote:

<snip>

>Aside from this XVID is DIVX backwards.  This is because all the ITU-T
>standards are DECODING standards, not encoding ones.  This is to allow
>commercial operators to create their own encoders, with the decoding being
>in the public domain.

Re DivX and Xvid ... while it is true that the spelling is reversed ... my
recollection is that this is not because
decoding is the reverse of encoding. I thought it was a joke name because of
the open source community unhappiness with
DivX Inc (used to be DivXNetworks Inc) withdrawing source code from the
OpenDivX project that they started.

Paul