On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 08:29, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> > I'm running a machine with 512MB ram and 1GB swap and BackupPC is
> > triggering Linux's OOM (the out of memory killer) and that's making it
> > impossible to backup my main machine.
> >
> > At the moment VSZ for the 2 _dump processes are at 527m and 425m and
> > rsync is at 256m (see below).  How can I reduce BackupPC's memory
> > demands???
>
> try using tar instead of rsync; it has much lower memory requirements. (tho
> it has many other limitations).

Rsync has to store an in-memory table of all the filenames before it
starts checking them so it can help a bit to split the runs.  If you
have several large filesystems, you can do this by adding the
--one-file-system option to the command and explicitly adding
each mount point to the list to back up.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]