[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 01/01/2007 11:34:57
PM:

> I wouldn't be surprised, though, if your problem is either not CPU
related
> or caused by a misconfiguration if it really is. Please someone correct
me
> if I'm wrong, but a 1.3 GHz Duron doesn't sound slow enough by far to me
> be legitimately overloaded by 2 backups. 512MB of memory maybe, but
renicing
> wouldn't help then, would it?

I routinely hit 100% CPU utilization on the Via C3 1GHz Mini-ITX systems I
use as backup servers.  I will grant you that the C3 is not the most
efficient processor, but I am definitely CPU-limited.  I too have 512MB
RAM, but the machines are not swapping.  And that's with 1 backup at a
time running (there is only one system to back up).

One specific case:  I am using rsyncd to back up 160GB of data from a file
server connected via a 100Mbit LAN with compression set to 0.  The remote
server is using 3 x 150GB 10,000 RPM SCSI drives connected to a ServeRAID
controller configured for RAID-5.  The full backup from an empty pool
takes 900 minutes, giving me 3MB/s, using rsyncd directly (in other words,
no SSH).

Given that the backup server and the file server are connected by a decent
switch (HP 2324) and there is no other traffic at the time, the network is
not an issue.  The file server is running RHEL 3 on a 2.6GHz CPU with
512MB of RAM, and is not doing anything other than file sharing, so this
is not an issue either.

The backup server runs fine, but e.g. using the web GUI or logging in via
SSH is *sluggish*.  These are dedicated backup servers so I don't care,
but if you made the mistake of putting BackupPC on your main file server,
the fie server would be unusable in this state.

I assumed that this was expected behavior.  I originally built the backup
servers with the same hardware we use for our Linux-based firewalls:  Via
Eden fanless CPU's that run at 533MHz, but with that motherboard, backing
up 160GB of data threatned to take almost 30 hours...

Like I said, these machines are not swapping during a backup.  They're
just busy.  Is this not normal?  Is there a way to improve this?

Tim Massey