Rob Shepherd wrote:

>>> i'd like to be able to quickly provide a user with access to their files
>>> over samba, as quickly as possible.
>>>
>>> does anybody have any thoughts on how i do this efficiently.
>> Set up authenticated http access with each user listed as the 'owner' of
>> his own machine in your hosts file.  Then they will be able to browse
>> their own backups, select files, and have a choice of grabbing a copy
>> directly through the browser or having the restore done through the
>> protocol used to do the backup.
>>

> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I seen this method of browsing
> files... Which is great, but not completely suitable in my scenario.
>
> It's for the days when laptops/PSUs are forgotton, but it would be handy
> to work directly on the files.

The backups are not stored in a format suitable for direct access even
if suitable network shares and permissions could be set up.  They are
compressed and all duplicates are linked together.  You can still grab a
copy from anywhere through the browser.

> In Addition, this is something I haven't checked, but is it possible to
> restore a backup to a local partition somehow. In case I wanted to to a
> quick restore to a filesystem which is exported by samba.

Yes - the generic way is to download a tar or zip archive through the
browser which you can install anywhere. I think the restore option will
also send to a different location if the user/password in
the config.pl file for the target works, but I haven't tried that. If
most people work on laptops, perhaps you can provide a stable server
with workspace they can use from any location.  I prefer to have the
'real' copies in a stable location like that but you might use it as an
alternative instead - but it is going to be up to the user to keep track
of where the current version is stored.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]