Rob Shepherd wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but if the files are not in a "direct access"
> format, then how does rsync work?
> rsync compares local and remote file trees before sending deltas etc.
>
> Does the rsync perl module do some translation magic or somesuch?

I don't know the exact answer to this (Craig?), but definitely, the
files are compressed with strange hashed filenames, and many each backup
stores the real filename and metadata as a hardlink to these compressed,
hashed filenames.  So, you see, if you allowed a user to work directly
with any one version of the file on the server, it would necessarily
'corrupt' the backups not only where the user is working, but going back
in time as well.  In short, this is not the solution you're looking for.

> Yes, real copies on ZFS would be nice, however I need to cater for users
> who work on the train, in the airport etc and can't necessarily VPN all
> the time. As you say, if it was left up to the user to sort out
> versioning, we may as well format C:\ now :)
>
> It there a way of exploiting the BackupPC_Restore to dump to a local
> folder, even if piped through tar/gtar/star?
>
> Not through the web interface, but from _my_ terminal.

What you are describing is simply rsync or subversion/cvs/arch.  If you
want people to work independently of a central store, but have access to
that store in absence of their primary work machine, you want a central
repository of their files.  A backup system of some sort may do that for
you, but I think perhaps that is going too far: a revision control
system would be more appropriate, if the users needed to go back to
previous versions of files.  Otherwise, rsync with a central server on a
frequent basis automatically when a secure network connection can be
built to your server.  Rsync'ing that data back to a local machine as
needed is pretty straightforward, especially if wrapped in a simple UI.

My $.02, at least.

Good luck,
JH