> rsync is saving bandwidth at the cost of processing overhead doesnt mean that
> rsync
> is just for this purpose, it is a way to think about it. Dont be so single
> minded.
>
> As a matter of fact the rsync page says 'rsync is an open source
> utility that provides fast incremental file transfer.' and I want speed which
> coincides with the statement in rsync web pages.

Just something that needs pointing out here, is that rsync is only a
"fast incremental file transfer" program when transferring large files
over a slow link. The rsync protocol reads the files at both ends,
compares them blocks at a time with checksums, then writes out a whole
new copy of each file. For a slow link this is great, as the data
transferred is a little bigger than the differences in the file, so a
1Gb file with 1 byte changed at the end only has to transfer that 1 byte
plus all the checksums etc. For a fast link this is actually slower, as
both ends have to read the file, compute checksums, communicate them to
each other, transfer chunks of the file down the line, then the
destination server has to write out the file after applying the
difference patch. For fast links it is much faster for the system to
read at one end and write at the other, transferring large chunks
without using any cpu power. And for completely new or completely
changed files (think a gzip'd file) this actually means rsync is slower
and transfers more data!

So in the case where is says it's a fast incremental file transfer, it's
still saying you're saving bandwidth (read that as time on a slow link
and therefore is faster) at the expense of processing overhead.

Just had to clear that misunderstanding up.

Josh.

P.S. If you're using rsync over ssh then make sure you use the blowfish
cipher - it's much much faster than the default. I personally use rsyncd
as it's on a trusted network and don't want the encryption overhead of ssh.