On 3/30/07, Evren Yurtesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Rees wrote:
> > How long are full and incremental backups taking now?
>
> In one machine it went down from 900 minutes to 175 minutes. I expect better
> performance
> when more memory is added (today or tomorrow they will add it) and I dont
> think all
> files had checksums cached when this full was ran.

Wow, that is a huge difference! I didn't expect performance to
increase that much, apparently the checksum caching is really reducing
the number of disk IOPs.

> I could try tar for testing purposes if you like? I think rsync will be
> sufficiently
> fast enough. I am guessing that with checksum-seeds the difference shouldnt
> be so
> much
> tar probably transfers much more data in full backups? Rsync can be faster
> perhaps if
> ignore-times was removed when taking full backups. I am thinking of removing
> ignore-times
> option from full backups with rsync and see how much it effects for seeing
> the difference.

Tar is definitely worth a shot if it's short comings for incremental
backups are acceptable and network bandwidth isn't an issue.

Removing rsync ignore-times may also be an option if the reduction in
possible data integrity is acceptible.

-Dave