On 02/19 05:53 , Raman Gupta wrote:

> >> I was under the assumption that BackupPC never transfers the same file
> >> twice unless it changed after the last backup (either full or
> >> incremental), even in the 2.x version.  Was that an invalid assumption
> >> on my part?
> >
> > That is incorrect. Backuppc does its incrementals against the last full; not
> > against the previous incremental (unless you set $Conf{IncrLevels} = [1, 2,
> > 3, 4, 5, 6];).
>
> So is it correct to say that when using rsync, its probably more
> efficient to just turn off incrementals and always do fulls?

No, and a brief examination of the reports will make this clear.
I'm not thoroughly clear on the difference; but backuppc 'fulls' using rsync
do a more thorough set of checks than the 'incrementals'.

Incrementals, even using rsync, are usually much faster than fulls.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator