On 3/11/21 4:36 PM, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
I don't see how this would make sense at a per-host level. And any
behavior to have it differ by host is undocumented and not necessarily
predictable.

That's why I asked - I can't predict what it would do if it were allowed.  :D

Look at the code that I recently submitted to the group to streamline
creation/deletion of shadow backups.

I saved those posts, but, honestly, I don't see the advantage of using a large script for the per-host config files over having two lines to set the pre/postdump commands.  Yes, the pre/postdump commands require scripts to be installed on each target host, but those scripts come along as part of the overall backuppc client installation that they (presumably) need anyhow, in order for rsync and such to be available.

  > So I'm thinking that it might work to temporarily set the windows hosts
  > to MaxBackups = 1, if that would prevent multiple windows hosts from
  > running at the same time and free up slots for the linux hosts to run.
  > If it would also prevent linux hosts from running when a windows host is
  > in progress, though, then that would just make things worse.

To me this sounds backasswords.
Why not just INCREAE MaxBackups to allow for a few hung Windows
machines. It's not like they are consuming any server bandwidth or cpu.

Because if I increase it to, say, 20, then that will allow 20 linux backups (which are all using bandwidth) just as happily as 20 stalled windows backups.

If there were a solution so say "this pool of resources is only for linux clients and that pool is only for windows clients" (short of having two completely separate bpc installs), then I'd have my workaround, but it appears that no such capability exists.

Alternatively, I might divide the blackout periods into one period for Linux
and one for Windows machines. That way Linux machines don't compete
with Windows machines for slots. You can then write a script to kill
any hanging Windows backups that bleed into your Linux slot.
That could work, yes.
But the only real solution is to figure out why and where the Windows
backups are hanging...
Of course.