If I were to set $Conf{MaxBackups} = 1 for one specific host, how would that be handled?  Would it prevent that specific host from running backups unless there are no other backups in progress? Would it prevent any other backups from being started before that host finished?  Would it do both?  Or is that an inherently-global setting that has no effect if set for a single host?

My use-case here is that I've got a lot of linux hosts and a handful of windows machines.  The linux hosts work great with standard ssh/rsync configuration, no problems there.

The windows machines, on the other hand, are using a windows backuppc client that our windows admin found on sourceforge and it's having... problems... with handling shadow volumes.  As in it appears to be failing to create them, which causes backup runs to take many hours as it waits for "device or resource busy" files to time out.  Which ties up available slots in the MaxBackups limit and prevents the linux machines from being scheduled.

So I'm thinking that it might work to temporarily set the windows hosts to MaxBackups = 1, if that would prevent multiple windows hosts from running at the same time and free up slots for the linux hosts to run.  If it would also prevent linux hosts from running when a windows host is in progress, though, then that would just make things worse.

Or is there some other way I could specify "run four backups at once, BUT only one of these six can run at a time (alongside three others which aren't in that group)"?
****