Hi there,

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022, Adam Goryachev wrote:

I don't understand why you would NOT want backuppc to have at least
read access to ALL data, including data only accessible to root.

Because I wouldn't want BackupPC to be a vector for compromise.  The
whole point of giving read access only to root is so that *only* root
has access. :)  It's a security posture.

I assume you would not be suggesting that you run a separate backup
system for each user

Correct.

so why would you want to either:

1) Not backup root data

??!!

2) Run a separate backup solution just for root data

I guess this will go back to how you setup your data security etc,

Exactly.  The BackupPC system is rather complex.  As commonly used it
involves, for example, a Web server and a browser.  These things are
notoriously insecure.  Browsers are amongst the most complex bits of
software on the planet and amongst the most frequently compromised.
You could even have pathological cases like a well-secured Linux box
running BackupPC accessed by Internet Explorer running under XP...

Rather than let a random browser have access to things which properly
only root should be able to access, if I were being cautious I'd back
up the private things separately.  It might be as simple as creating a
cron job or something like that to zip (with a passphrase known only
to me) the root-only files to an archive, and then copy that archive
to a place accessible to the backup run by BackupPC.  Clearly there's
a bit of work to be done there, keeping things current.

but regardless of what you do, I would strongly suggest you ensure
ALL data is backed up...

Well at least all important data, agreed, obviously. :)

--

73,
Ged.