Adam Goryachev via BackupPC-users wrote at about 11:03:20 +1100 on Saturday,
November 5, 2022:
 > I just had to comment here....
 >
 > I don't understand why you would NOT want backuppc to have at least read
 > access to ALL data, including data only accessible to root. I assume you
 > would not be suggesting that you run a separate backup system for each
 > user, so why would you want to either:
 >
 > 1) Not backup root data
 > 2) Run a separate backup solution just for root data
 >
 > I guess this will go back to how you setup your data security etc, but
 > regardless of what you do, I would strongly suggest you ensure ALL data
 > is backed up (because it is always the unimportant file that needs to be
 > restored most urgently and is critical).
 >
 > So, for my, I use SSH + rsync to backup ALL target systems, and do that
 > using the root user on the destination, and I simply use the same method
 > for localhost.

For some additional security and peace-of-mind, I create a new user on
my remote machines that you could call say backuppc_client that I then
access using sudo with very restricted sudoer privileges based on the
specific rsync command used to backup. Now I know that this isn't
perfect, but it feels safer than just ssh'ing as root...