Hello,

Sza'sz Endre Istva'n wrote:

Dear List!

I try to to implement Bacula for a small company. I have succesfully
installed and configured bacula (congrats to all, who writed the
manual), but I need a little help, to develop the backup strategy.

I'll see if I can suggest something...

I plan to do the backup to 200 MB IDE disks, and I think, that I have
enough space, to do once a Full backup, and then the Incremental backups
for a month.

Ok, first of all, I'd consider using a third disk - even in case one breaks (or is just in use and overwriten) you will probably want to have two backups. At least I prefer that.

It will be simple, to keep this disk allways in the backup server, but I
think, that this is not a good idea because of security reason. So I
want to introduce a second backup disk, but I dont know when and how to
do the backup to the first backup disk, and when (and how) to the
second.

The requirements are:

- I want to change the backup disk once a week
- I want to be able to do a full restore using _just_ the one of the two
disks

And you want a monthly cycle... not the best situation to find a simple solution.

I think, that the following strategie will do, but I am courious, what
do you think about this:
Week A: (disk1)
 - 1. day: - Full backup
 - 2-7 days: - Incremental (since week A 1. day full backup)

week B: (disk2)
 - 1. day: - Full backup
 - 2-7 days: - Incremental (since week B 1. day full backup)

week C: (disk1)
 - 1-7 days: - Incremental (since week A 1. day full backup and _NOT_
since week B 1. day full backup)

week D: (disk2)
 - 1-7 days: - Incremental (since week B 1. day full backup)

Is this overcomplicated? ;-) (I know, that this is :-) What I dont know
at this moment, how can I simply doing this.

Well, as long as it does what you want... but, sorry, I don't like that. Too complicated for me - after all, each disk change can result in an error, and setting this up doesn't look very straightforward. Deciding which jobs to restore is also not trivial.

The sort of advice I can give you depends on what you consider most important, so I'd suggest you think about your priorities:

- simplicity
- monthly cycle
- full restore from only one volume
- two volumes

If I had such a scenario, I could imagine the following backup scheme:

- I'd use three disks
- I would store one week of data on each disk
- First day: Full, afterwards incremental backups
- Set up only one pool, three volumes, retention time of two weeks.

This way, I'd have a three-week-cycle (which is close enough to a month for me ;-) , I can restore from one disk only, I should, even in case of a serious problem, have two backup generations left, and it's easy to handle - one day each week you change the disks. A->B->C->A Even a secretary can do that :-) (no offense... and apologies to all secretaries!)

Now you all know that for me, simplicity is the single most important feature in a customer's backup scheme...

Arno

So, please give me a piece of advice!

Thanks for the responses in advance!

Szaszka

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]