Folks;

maybe the subject sounds strange, nevertheless: In our environment, we
use to do backups (a) from several servers to a machine having a large
disk array attached using rsync and (b) from there to tape using
afio+wrapper-scripts. So far, this works well, and the reason for
making use of this technology is that people around here want to have
the backed-up repository available as a read-only SMB share just in
case it is ever needed (actually, it sometimes is).

After playing around with it for a while, I've grown to like bacula as
a distributed backup solution as it drastically eases maintaineance
effort taken to rsync files from all over to one central place.
However, using bacula to store a backup to disk always leaves me with a
backup folder containing bacula "volume files" which are inaccessible
to an arbitrary user (who shouldn't be meant to mess with the bconsole).

My question: Is there a way to set up the bacula-storage to dump files
to a disk into a file system structure that could be shared using SMB,
NFS, whatever? How can I achieve this effect, or is it not currently
supported / thought of? Any reading pointers on that?

Thanks in advance and bye,
Kristian

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH  * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden