On 4/7/07, Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am sure you will get some responses that answer your questions, but two
> tips:
>
> 1. Read the upgrading sections of the manual -- there are two or three (see
> Upgrading in the index of the Development manual).
>
> 2. Realize that you are upgrading two database levels, so you will probably
> need to upgrade the database to 1.38.x first (probably manually) then do a
> 2.0.x upgrade.

Thanks, Kern.

I've done some digging and I have answered a number of my questions.
I've read that the tapes will be able to be read by the newer version.
I also found that Scott (and others) do still make the rpms and that
they're on sourceforge. I see that there is no rh7 rpm built though,
so I downloaded the srpm and tried to compile it with this command:

rpmbuild -ba --define "build_client_only 1" --define "build_rh7 1"
rpmbuild/SPECS/bacula.spec

It's failing, complaining of a build-time requirement of
libxml2-devel, yet I can find no libxml2 and libxml2-devel for RH7.1
on the Red Hat archive site in the original release or the updates to
it. I don't know how to proceed.

I noticed in the manual section on building rpms that there were
permission changes between 1.36 and 1.38. I'll watch out for that when
moving to the latest release, but was wondering if the rpms just take
care of fixing it if needed?

I also see that the scripts needed to do the db upgrade yoou mentioned
are in an rpm from Scott, so I should be ok there.

My main problem is building that rh7 client ... suggestions anyone?
--
        -ste