maximum speeds on a tape drive are kinda like maximum capacity on your
broadband connection.

what's advertised and what you'll get are two different things.

I have that same DELL drive, and I'm seeing about 60gb/hour, which I
feel is reasonable for LTO3 with no compression... your numbers aren't
even hitting that, which leads me to ask.  What is the configuration
of the box doing the backups, and the client providing the data?  is
the backup being pulled over a network?

here's one of my network clients:
  Elapsed time:           3 hours 34 mins 31 secs
  SD Files Written:       83,231
  SD Bytes Written:       92,136,797,057 (92.13 GB)
  Rate:                   7157.3 KB/s

here's a client on the same machien as the drive:
  Elapsed time:           2 hours 16 mins 11 secs
  SD Files Written:       300,876
  SD Bytes Written:       146,902,220,286 (146.9 GB)
  Rate:                   17972.1 KB/s

When I ran the tape test, I was seeing numbers in excess of 50000kb/s
... so obviously there's a bottleneck in my system too, but not as bad
as what you're describing.  I think a big part of the slowdown is
overhead from the shadow-copy service.

Give us some more information about your setup and configuration.

My server is a poweredge 2600 with dual 2.8ghz xeons, 2gb ram, and
windows 2003 standard.  The tape is alone on an adaptec ultra 320
pci-x controller.  The disk array being backed up is 8 spindles,
10krpm, hardware raid 5 on a perc4 (ultra 320) controller.

Gordon